How to make an application to an Employment Tribunal?

As a claimant, you first need to consider what claims you have.  For example, is it unfair dismissal, sex discrimination, redundancy pay etc…

Then consider when the ‘event’ or incident occurred.  Most claims must be brought within 3 months (less one day) of the incident.

Also consider what outcome can be achieved and what you are seeking.

Next step is to contact ACAS and submit an Early Conciliation Form , which can be obtained from ACAS’s website –

Complete the form and an ACAS Conciliator should contact you.  According to ACAS’s statistics, they settle about 17% of the cases at this stage.  If you case settles at this stage, no further action is required.

If it does not settle and you wish to continue with a claim, you will need to complete an Application Form for the Employment Tribunal.  You can obtain further information from –

And to make a claim –

If you need any help with processing your claim or advice about a potential claim, please contact